Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

Default Worst Household Chores ?

In article , Suzie-Q wrote:
In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

- I wouldn't pay anything -- I have a self-cleaning oven. All I have to do is
- press the button that says "Clean", wait a few hours, and then brush or
- vacuum the ash out of the bottom.

That's pretty expensive, too.

No, it isn't.

The cleaning is done by raising the
temperature in the oven so high that whatever food debris is in there
turns to ash. It uses a lot of electricity (or gas). Not as expensive
as someone cleaning the oven for you, but more costly than manually
cleaning the thing. (Like mom used to do.)

I'm perfectly well aware of how a self-cleaning oven works -- and also well
aware that my time has value, too. And it's not nearly as expensive as you
think: only about a dollar's worth of electricity.

How much does it cost in supplies to clean an oven manually? Fifty cents? A
quarter? So you're saving fifty to seventy-five cents by cleaning it manually.
How much is your time worth? Is the twenty to thirty minutes it takes to clean
an oven manually really worth only a couple of quarters?

--
Regards,