Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Worst Household Chores ?

Hi folks, just wondered what the general opinion was on the worst
household chore. Got to be a two horse race between cleaning the inside
of the windows and cleaning the oven.

We are considering taking on an Oven Cleaning franchise but are curious
about the market. Would you pay £40 to have someone overhaul your oven
?

Chris

Posted to alt.home.repair
Donna

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi folks, just wondered what the general opinion was on the worst
household chore. Got to be a two horse race between cleaning the inside
of the windows and cleaning the oven.

We are considering taking on an Oven Cleaning franchise but are curious
about the market. Would you pay £40 to have someone overhaul your oven
?

In the US, at least, most newer ovens are self-cleaning. I haven't had to
do the "heat-the oven-apply chemicals-find gloves-and-old-clothes, scrub-all
afternoon" routine in about fifteen years, so no, I wouldn't need to pay
someone for that. What *would* I pay $80 to have done? Hmmm....

-outdoor window washing
-anything that involves tools I don't currently own (power-washing the
exterior, steam cleaning rugs and furniture, that sort of thing)
-large "annual cleaning"-type jobs that I procrastinate over (scrubbing and
bleaching tile grout, carpet shampooing, closet organizing and cleaning...
the big, time-consuming things that aren't part of weekly cleaning)

Donna

Posted to alt.home.repair
tom&kel

i'd pay $80 to have someone listen to my wife complain about my
uncontrollable urge to fix stuff.

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 12:00:46 GMT, Doug Miller wrote:

In article .com,
wrote:
Hi folks, just wondered what the general opinion was on the worst
household chore. Got to be a two horse race between cleaning the inside
of the windows and cleaning the oven.

Ever clean a toilet?

We are considering taking on an Oven Cleaning franchise but are curious
about the market. Would you pay =A340 to have someone overhaul your oven
?

I wouldn't pay anything -- I have a self-cleaning oven. All I have to do
is
press the button that says "Clean", wait a few hours, and then brush or
vacuum
the ash out of the bottom.

How much would you pay to have somebody come over and push the button for
you?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Banty

In article , tom&kel says...

i'd pay $80 to have someone listen to my wife complain about my
uncontrollable urge to fix stuff.

Save it to buy new versions of what you 'fix'.

Cheers,
Banty

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 15 Mar 2006 07:09:44 -0800, Banty wrote:

In article .com,
says...

Hi folks, just wondered what the general opinion was on the worst
household chore. Got to be a two horse race between cleaning the inside
of the windows and cleaning the oven.

1. Place a large pan of ammonia & water in oven.
2. Let stand for 24-36 hours.
3. Remove & discard ammonia & water.
4. Wipe inside of oven (incl racks) with an old rag.
(gentle wiping will do - no elbow grease needed.)
5. Done

Optional:
6. Use the $$ saved on oven cleaner to buy yourself a treat.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 15 Mar 2006 10:33:30a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Doug
Miller?

In article ,
Suzie-Q wrote:
In article ,
(Doug Miller) wrote:

- I wouldn't pay anything -- I have a self-cleaning oven. All I have to
do is - press the button that says "Clean", wait a few hours, and then
brush or - vacuum the ash out of the bottom.

That's pretty expensive, too.

No, it isn't.

The cleaning is done by raising the
temperature in the oven so high that whatever food debris is in there
turns to ash. It uses a lot of electricity (or gas). Not as expensive
as someone cleaning the oven for you, but more costly than manually
cleaning the thing. (Like mom used to do.)

I'm perfectly well aware of how a self-cleaning oven works -- and also
well aware that my time has value, too. And it's not nearly as expensive
as you think: only about a dollar's worth of electricity.

How much does it cost in supplies to clean an oven manually? Fifty
cents? A quarter? So you're saving fifty to seventy-five cents by
cleaning it manually. How much is your time worth? Is the twenty to
thirty minutes it takes to clean an oven manually really worth only a
couple of quarters?

Absolutely! I find that I only need to use the self-cleaning cycle 3-4
times a year or, at the most, once every other month. I keep a disposable
aluminum tray in the bottom which handles any major spillovers.

It's not even the money issue. I simply don't relish getting down on the
floor and dealing with the chemicals and scrubbing.

--
Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

Posted to alt.home.repair
Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Suzie-Q ) said...
[about self cleaning ovens...]

That's pretty expensive, too. The cleaning is done by raising the
temperature in the oven so high that whatever food debris is in there
turns to ash. It uses a lot of electricity (or gas). Not as expensive
as someone cleaning the oven for you, but more costly than manually
cleaning the thing. (Like mom used to do.)

Hogwash.

Just look at the Energuide ratings on appliances ("Energuide" is what
we have here in Canada, but there is a similar sticker on new appliances
in the USA with a similar-sounding name that escapes me at the moment).

Self cleaning ovens use LESS energy overall than non-self cleaning ovens.

How can that be, when the cleaning is done as Suzie-Q describes above?

Simple: insulation.

Due to the high temperatures needed for the cleaning cycle, the oven must
be far better insulated than non-self cleaning units.

This insulation level results in the appliance using less energy during
cooking operations. So much less energy, that the energy used to clean it
once in awhile added to the cooking energy it consumes is LESS than the
energy consumed by a non-self cleaner. That does not even consider any
environmental costs that using chemical cleaners impose.

Now, I suppose that if you run the cleaning cycle fairly often, it will
consume more energy. In practice, we probably run the self cleaning cycle
on ours just about as often (maybe a little more) as we would perform
a manual cleaning if this oven were not a self cleaner, which is probably
between four and six times a year. Your mileage may vary.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
"I really think Canada should get over to Iraq as quickly as possible"
Posted to alt.home.repair
miller_a

worst housecleaning job for me would have to be anything that involves
the bathroom - cleaning the tub, moping the floor, absolutely the
worst for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 09:20:15 -0500, "tom&kel"
wrote:

i'd pay $80 to have someone listen to my wife complain about my
uncontrollable urge to fix stuff.

Did you ever see the movie "Boys night out". You should rent that if
you can find it (A lot of cities have a place that rents vintage
movies.) Although this was from 1963 and it might be hard to find.
Maybe on cable somehow. Isn't there cable on demand? Will they find
you old movies, like Turner owns a bunch?

if you want to know more, I'll tell you more.
Posted to alt.home.repair
tom&kel

i'll check it out......looks pretty good. i've always liked james garner
and tony randall.
news
wrote:

i'd pay $80 to have someone listen to my wife complain about my
uncontrollable urge to fix stuff.

Did you ever see the movie "Boys night out". You should rent that if
you can find it (A lot of cities have a place that rents vintage
movies.) Although this was from 1963 and it might be hard to find.
Maybe on cable somehow. Isn't there cable on demand? Will they find
you old movies, like Turner owns a bunch?

if you want to know more, I'll tell you more.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 09:03:16 -0500, "tom&kel"
wrote:

i'll check it out......looks pretty good. i've always liked james garner
and tony randall.

Someone in my family used to ruin movies for me, so I hate to give any
details of a movie for fear of ruining it for others.

But you'll like it.

Maybe anyone who regularly reads this group will.

I've seen the movie once on tv since I originally saw it at the
theater, but I'd forgetten who was in it. I like them too. I loved
Rockford.

news
wrote:

i'd pay $80 to have someone listen to my wife complain about my
uncontrollable urge to fix stuff.

Did you ever see the movie "Boys night out". You should rent that if
you can find it (A lot of cities have a place that rents vintage
movies.) Although this was from 1963 and it might be hard to find.
Maybe on cable somehow. Isn't there cable on demand? Will they find
you old movies, like Turner owns a bunch?

if you want to know more, I'll tell you more.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:42:51 GMT, Suzie-Q
wrote:

- I wouldn't pay anything -- I have a self-cleaning oven.

There are also, at least there were, continuous cleaning ovens. They
have a surface inside that promotes the burning off of splatters at
normal oven temps.

So you never have to clean it, although it's also never totally clean.

Maybe runnning it empty would cause it to get totally clean, but I got
the idea that that would take a lot of hours and even though I once
had a special need, I haven't tried.