Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
charlie b

Default (sorta) gloat

jamesy wrote:

You gave him a choice to accept it as a gift or to pay the Meijers price.
What a miserable SOB.

Why couldn't you just say to the guy, I'd like to make it a gift to you,
instead of putting him on the spot.

You then have the gall to gloat that he gave you more than the retail price.
Sounds as though your motive was monetary all the while & that you were
hoping against hope that he would choose to pay.

jamesy.

That's one way of looking at it.

Another is that he valued his friend highly - enough to make
him a very fine cane comparable to the best he knew of. Unless
his friend had priced fine canes elsewhere he might not realize
the value his friend had for him. Most people have no idea
how much knowledge, skill and time is required to make something,
anything, that is One Off - and fine - just for them.

And the reverse may be true. Most amateur woodworkers are
somewhat over critical of their pieces, being aware of anything
that could've been done better, every shortcoming. Having
someone, especially a friend, let you know that a piece is
better than the best they knew of is nice to hear.

Sounds like both parties benefitted from the exchange - and
the friendship probably strengthened. The recipient has a
beautiful, unique, made just for him, cane he can enjoy
and brag about. "A good friend made it specfically for me -
three different and beautiful woods put together nicely
don't you think? Feels nice too!" The maker of the cane
can gloat that his work is as good if not better than the
best he's aware of - and has a good friend.

You look at it your way. Me, I'll look at it as a win-win
for two friends.

charlie b