Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance
Nick

Default 3-jaw rivet guns? (or: "Ping Andy Dingley!")

Lobster wrote:

I asked the query below tagged onto the bottom of an old thread, which
may be why it got no response, so I'm trying again in a new thread (and
x-posting to URCM too!)

Having looked around, all the rivet guns I can see appear to have two
handles (like a crimping tool) with a round nozzle for the rivet at the
tip.

Can anyone advise please? Many thanks.

Andy Dingley wrote:

When buying a pop-rivet gun, get a 3 jaw design, not a 2 jaw.
There's an extra size increment you can have, just from the grip, let
alone the effort needed.

Thanks for that advice Andy: now, as a total rivetting numpty, is it
obvious whether a rivet gun has a 3 or 2 jaw design? Never handled one
before. What about the Screwfix one which I cited previously?
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=102094&ts=70670&id=10068#

That looks similar to my "Fuller" pop-rivet gun. If you remove
the round nozzle you will be able to see the jaws that grip the
rivet. Mine has two jaws and that is OK for the small amount I
use it. For long rivets I have to press the handles together
twice. I assume that a three-jaw gun would handle bigger rivets
and be able to rivet in one operation. But then it may not fit in
confined spaces and would cost more.