Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak

Default Vinyl siding blown off by wind

John Richards wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message

"John Richards" wrote in message
news
There were wind gusts of up to 65 mph recorded at a nearby airport about
a month ago which ripped off a total of about 100 sq feet of my vinyl
siding in two separate areas of my house. The nail slots in the siding
were not torn, the siding pulled the nails right out.

Seems like the material itself did not fail. So did the contractor nail
it properly? A roofing nail every 16" of the correct length? Do you have
insurance? If so I would let them handle it and the contractor.
Otherwise I would be reading all the fine print in the contract and
warrantee and trying to prove it was incorrectly installed. What is the
wall sheathing like? Unless the contractor installed the sheathing he may
not be responsible if it can't hold the nails.

Thanks for the reply. If the siding were nailed into the wall studs with
the proper length nails, it shouldn't matter what the wall sheathing was
like, right?

My vinyl siding was nailed up 21 years ago. Since then, I have done two
alterations to the outside which required the removal of the siding.
I had to use a claw to pull the 1" roofing nails out, which were
installed haphazardly in the 1/2" plywood sheathing without regard to
the location of studs. I live on the top of a hill which gets its share
of high winds, including a few hurricanes and at least one tornado over
those 21 years. No siding has ever blown off or even came loose.

The siding was installed about

2 1/5 years ago and the work was warranteed against all material and
labor defects for 25 years. The contractor is claiming that the siding
coming loose was "obviously" not from a work defect as the wind gusts
were so high - he was claiming 100 to 200 mph which is a bunch of BS. He
says that my homeowners insurance should pay for it. My question is, can
anyone refer me to any kind of code or standard for installation of vinyl
siding specifying what kind of wind speeds it should hold up to without
coming lose from the house? I'm tired of being jerked around.

Thanks,
John

--
Bill