Posted to alt.home.repair
John Richards

Default Vinyl siding blown off by wind

There were wind gusts of up to 65 mph recorded at a nearby airport about a
month ago which ripped off a total of about 100 sq feet of my vinyl siding
in two separate areas of my house. The nail slots in the siding were not
torn, the siding pulled the nails right out. The siding was installed about
2 1/5 years ago and the work was warranteed against all material and labor
defects for 25 years. The contractor is claiming that the siding coming
loose was "obviously" not from a work defect as the wind gusts were so
high - he was claiming 100 to 200 mph which is a bunch of BS. He says that
my homeowners insurance should pay for it. My question is, can anyone refer
me to any kind of code or standard for installation of vinyl siding
specifying what kind of wind speeds it should hold up to without coming lose
from the house? I'm tired of being jerked around.

Thanks,
John