Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

Default ATTN TODD: Thinning lacquer

"LP" wrote in message
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 13:04:32 -0600, "todd" wrote:

I just received mine from Homestead Finishing. This will be my first
foray
into spraying. I was reading the booklet they send with the gun and from
what I read a good starting point for something like lacquer is to thin it
50%. I'm curious what your experience has been. I'm going to start
playing
with my new gun in the next day or so.

Yes, Homestead adverttises as another source. I've never been able to
get them to answer their phone.

I've called three times and gotten an answer three times.

As for thinning:
I'm using an Accuspray turbine driven HVLP gun. Most waterborne
lacquers, even tho they appear thick, spray fine right out of the can.
I dont remember the exact number but I think Target recommends adding
a maximum of 10-20% water if thinning is necessary. They also have a
"flow out additive", which thins the product and retards drying
somewhat.

Thinning to 50% sounds like the older nitrocellulose lacquers shot
thru a high pressure gun. 50% with the waterborne finishes would be
way too much.

Thanks for the info. I've just started reading and haven't even gotten to
the Target instructions yet.

You didnt say what type of gun, however:

I have a Walcom Slim-S, which is a compressor-fed HVLP.

I have no actual experience with waterborne products and high pressure
guns, but if I had to do it that way, I'd start with the finish at
full strength and add water until it sprayed properly. You might also
need to go to a larger tip. A few minutes experimentation should get
you in the ball park.

I expect it will take me a bit of experimentation to dial it in. Thanks
again.

todd