Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
jamesy

Default (sorta) gloat

You gave him a choice to accept it as a gift or to pay the Meijers price.
What a miserable SOB.

Why couldn't you just say to the guy, I'd like to make it a gift to you,
instead of putting him on the spot.

You then have the gall to gloat that he gave you more than the retail price.
Sounds as though your motive was monetary all the while & that you were
hoping against hope that he would choose to pay.

jamesy.

"W Canaday" wrote in message
news
I made a guy a cane this past week. His only spec was that it be unique in
all the world. He ended up with segmented tamarind / leopardwood with a
piece of birdseye maple at the handle end. I had him
over for a fitting today to check the length and to select which of two
sizes of brass horse hanes he wanted for his handle.

Although we hadn't discussed price, I figured it would come up eventually
so I had gone shopping at Meijers for their top of the line cane. I was
also prepared to simply give it to him ... we are both Jehovah's Witnesses
... so, when he asked the price I told him that he could choose
whether to accept it as a gift from me or to pay the Meijers price.

He chose to pay the Meijers price ... plus $20.

I figure anytime someone is willing to give me more than I ask for a
piece, it counts as a gloat. ;-)

Okay ... now that that is off my chest, I'm off to the basem -- err,
'shop' to stain the tamarind and maple black per his request.

Bill