Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default JT #2-1/2 means exactly that!

According to Norm Dresner :

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
| FWIW I am going to call the rotating part of the drill press the
| spindle. The adaptor between the spindle and the chuck is the arbor,
| just so you are clear on what I am saying.

I have the exploded parts diagram in the instruction manual. There is
exactly one piece which runs down from the pulley to house the chuck. It is
a single piece of metal that the manufacturer calls the "spindle". There is
no separate arbor. If you doubt me, I'd be glad to scan the diagram and
e-mail it to you.

I don't think that anyone doubted you. We were simply hoping
that the drill press spindle was made in such a way as to allow
a replaceable arbor, so it would be easy to change to other Jacobs taper
sizes. (And some of your earlier terminology suggested that it was so
equipped.)

Since there is no such feature, you are stuck with your existing
chuck (which, IIRC, was not that bad for a typical drill press chuck) --
especially the ones from China and Taiwan.

It *might* be that the same manufacturer made a version of the
drill press with a spindle with a Morse taper socket -- and if so,
changing one of those into the drill press might increase your options.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564