Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

Default Shop air thoughts...

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 07:37:52 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm, Eric
R Snow quickly quoth:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 06:34:23 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:16:05 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Michelle quickly quoth:

In talking to our local plumbing supplier about that very subject....
Black copper or PVC is fine.
I went with PVC. easiest to work with and cheapest.

Michelle, I worked with PVC air lines for years and nobody got shards
imbedded in their eyes (skulls, or anything else) BUT, PVC isn't rated
for air pressures and can explode. I no longer recommend its use after
reading the official stance. OSHA has _kittens_ upon its mention in
that usage.

Greetings Larry,

Howdy, Eric.

I worked in a shop that had all PVC airlines. These were mounted about
8 feet from the floor just because it was easiest. These airlines
started to blow up about about 15 years after being installed. When
they did blow shards were imbedded in plywood about 6 feet away.
Nevertheless, I have installed PVC in my shop. It is 8 feet up and
behind OSB sheets. Again, just because it was easiest. However, it
will all eventually be replaced with something safer. Already some has
blown and it is only about 7 years old.

Ours was at breast height, 1.5", and we worked with it for 4 years
before I switched careers due to back problems. The body men would
back out and catch air lines on bumper brackets, ripping the
connectors off the pipes and breaking pipes. Nobody ever got hit by
shards and it happened every 4-6 months. I guess they were lucky.

I"m replacing my installation of PVC pipe for the landscaping water
now after an ice-damaged old galv nipple went. What I hadn't seen
until I replaced the galv pieces was that a PVC ball valve had also
split. I'm replacing all PVC I put outside with galv now, and I'm
going to replace the valves at the well pump while I'm at it. Then I'm
going to foam some insulation around the exposed piping to limit its
exposure to freezing temps. I remember seeing that Porsche in the
guy's mountain cabin's garage with the water pipe above it. Can you
say "OOPS!" and "OUCH!"? I knew you could. g Wasn't this one of
you Metalheads, or was it someone from the Wreck?
http://p-car.com/potm/frozen.jpg

Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends
-- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development --