Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Devonshire

Default Shop air thoughts...

On the day of Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:59:47 -0600...
Rex B
typed these letters:

Devonshire wrote:
The company I used to work for used probably miles of tygon type air
lines. They also had some galvanized pipe/rigid conduit.

Looks to me like conduit would be about the cheapest thing available if
you could make air-tight connections reliably.

I've gotton rigid conduit for free from electrical contractors that
worked in industry. It would have to be rigid conduit, thin wall
would never work. The only difference I saw between the rigid
conduit and galvanized pipe that we had was the pipe had a pressure
rating of 300psi and the conduit had no pressure rating. If the
conduit is threaded. the ends will have to be chopped off and
rethreaded on a pipe threading machine. Conduit threads aren't
tapered like pipe threads. It's dificult to get them to seal off.
Conduit also makes great cheap tomato steaks. You need to take a side
grinder and cut at nitch in it every so often the catch the twine so
the plant doesn't slide down the pole.

I still think the flexable air line/tygon tubing would be the easiest
route. Rigid piping is ok as long as you never plan to move anything.

Devonshire