Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Default Shop air thoughts...

As others mentioned, OSHA inspectors will have a hissy fit if they see
PVC air lines. I think the issue is oil in the lines combined with
vibration. Plus PVC does not have a graceful failure mode.

My home shop has 1/2" copper, the labs at work are plumbed with 1/2" to
1" copper (depending on where in the system it is). Black pipe is the
preferred material. Once consideration for copper is to make sure the
termianations are not subject to vibration. Copper will work harden and
eventually crack.

Michelle wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

I'm in the midst of an overhaul of my small home shop (20'x32' detached)
and among the items on the agenda is some fixed air line.
The question is - Black pipe or soldered copper. Black pipe is rather a
pain to work with, heavy and fairly expensive, while type L copper is
much easier to work with and I think actually a bit cheaper overall not
to mention the typical HD / Lowe's black pipe fittings are crap. I think
the nice smooth bore of 1/2" copper will give better air flow rates vs.
1/2" black pipe as well.

I've heard it noted that for copper air lines you should use "hard"
solder. Since all the normal plumbing solder these days is lead-free
silver bearing I'm thinking this qualifies as "hard" solder.
I expect I'll be running the air through one of the cheap HF
refrigerated air dryers in addition to the usual filters to help keep
the new plasma cutter happy. In addition to the plasma cutter, the air
will be serving the air/hyd 20T press, blowguns at the lathe and mill,
and the usual assortment of impact wrench / hammer / nailer / tire
inflator.

Thoughts / suggestions?

Thanks,

Pete C.

In talking to our local plumbing supplier about that very subject....
Black copper or PVC is fine.
I went with PVC. easiest to work with and cheapest.
Michelle