Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default Shop air thoughts...

Looks to me like you could easily run a shield over the PVC air lines to
deflect any shards that might 'happen'. 1x6 pine boards, or C-purlin.
The drops and joints could be left unshielded as any break would likely
be in the runs. Also, I understand embrittlement of PVC is largely due
to UV. So as long as it wasn't exposed to sunlight or welding arc, the
odds are pretty good that it will last indefinitely.
Flex line from compressor to PVC to isolate vibration. larger
diameter PVC would effectively increase the volume of your air reservoir.
I'd consider adding a metal radiator to cool the compressed air and
remove water, close to the compressor. The PVC would not transfer heat
as well so you'd stand a higher chance of getting warm moist air to the
outlets without some sort of condenser.

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 14:16:05 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm,
Michelle quickly quoth:

In talking to our local plumbing supplier about that very subject....
Black copper or PVC is fine.
I went with PVC. easiest to work with and cheapest.

Michelle, I worked with PVC air lines for years and nobody got shards
imbedded in their eyes (skulls, or anything else) BUT, PVC isn't rated
for air pressures and can explode. I no longer recommend its use after
reading the official stance. OSHA has _kittens_ upon its mention in
that usage.

http://www.osha.gov/dts/hib/hib_data/hib19880520.html

I now recommend black pipe or copper tubing or air, though there are
some plastics now used in air lines: Nylon, polyurethane, and ABS.

http://www.cbs.state.or.us/osha/interps/1989/im-89-06(rr).pdf
http://www.newageindustries.com/sprthncl.asp
http://www.colexint.com/pneumn.htm

Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends
-- http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development --