Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Electric Underfloor Heating - AHT Heating

wrote:
Hi all,
I am new to this and I am only posting my question after reading a
bunch of threads regarding the electric underfloor heating. I am
rennovating a large apt (230 m2) and I am looking into underfloor
heating. I am between the conventional water pipe system vs the
electric heating system.

My question is really if someone out there has used the AHT-Heating
systems which seem promising and promise great energy savings (assuming
a well insulated house). The edge of this technology is that it uses an
amorpous alloy ribbon that increases the actual heat transfer area over
more widely used wires and has a much lower profile of 20-30 microns.

Has anyone used this system? I would like to hear some comments on it.

Thanks for your input.

CQ

Efficiency and cost has everything to do with the ratio of conductivity
from the wire to where you need the heat, and from the wire to where you
don't want the heat to go...it has nothing to do with the actual heating
elements themselves.

Cost is related to the cost of the energy used, and the amount that DOES
gate wasted via conduction paths elsewhere, and how big a surface area
you have to keep heat way through and how much ofa temperature gradient
you get across it.

All other things being equal, and in comparing wet:electric, mostly they
are, your only variables are installation cost and energy cost.

Since electricity is about twice whats any other form of heating is, its
a thumbs down for electric all the way.

The only time to install electric UFH on any appreciably sized area is,
as with mains halogen spotlights, when you want to do a quick and very
cheap job that will sell your house and leave the running costs with
some other sucker.