Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

Default Why hasn't 20062304277 been banned from posting?

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 00:03:33 +0000 (UTC), "Connor Aston"
wrote:

Do you know ... I'd think we will all really miss him when he goes.
I bet you its really LEON?

In a previous post in this interminable set of threads with this troll, I
recommended we name him "Fifi" instead of JT's "Buttercup" or Leon's
"Stinky". The more I think about it, a better name would be "Puny". This
seems more appropriate (and since he seems to insist on staying in the rec,
we may as well name him -- he's a bad troll, but he does seem determined to
remain the rec's troll. Since he insists on staying, it would be quite
impersonal to treat him as only a number). Most trolls come into a
newsgroup and generate a large outpouring of ire that remains high level
for a while, then dwindles. When the ire and responses dwindle, the troll
tries a few more casts, then moves on, knowing that it can no longer make a
living in that particular newsgroup. This troll is different, it seems to
be able to survive on the meager pickings of a few, occasional responses
that die down rather quickly. Thus, it must be a rather poor troll, able
to draw sustenance for its trollish behavior from the meager fare offered
by the denizens of rec.ww in a few taunts and low-level responses to its
trollish postings. To be able to survive on such small pickings, it must,
by necessity be a rather small, pitiful, emaciated troll -- thus the
appellation "Puny" just seems to fit.

It's kind of an interesting phenomenon, this troll has lasted longer than
most. It is almost the equivalent of the village idiot of old. Most
typically, the village idiot was the offspring of one of the town's
couples. Most likely they were kindly folk who died and left the VI with
nowhere to go, but who was then adopted by the townsfolk who would tolerate
occasional silliness, but pretty much just provided sustenance to the VI,
letting him live out his days by himself. Sometimes people would taunt or
tease the village idiot, but this usually resulted in pangs of conscience
for the tormentor, recognizing that they were really taking advantage of
one unable to defend himself. The VI mostly took this kind of ribbing in
stride and with good humor, thus making the guilt of the tormentor even
more heavy on the tormentor. Our resident troll, however, is more like a
belligerent village idiot, one who is too stupid to recognize his inability
to survive on his own, but one who not only gets in the way,but goes out of
his way to make himself a pain and bully the townsfolk. In the old days,
such Village Idiots often found themselves run out of town on a rail at
best, or floating facedown in the local river at worst after they had
assaulted one too many, or the wrong, townsperson. Fortunately, we are
more civilized and the only "killing" done is the addition of such trolls
the the bowels of the kill filters. One of the other side-effects of such
belligerent VI's was the fact that taunting such VI's was no longer out of
the realm of civil behavior, but an activity that could be engaged in
without pangs of conscience since the VI actually brought such ridcule upon
himself and the occasionally well-placed jab served to remind the VI that
he really wasn't the king of the realm. This seems to be the case with our
resident village idiot, every once in a while, when he escapes the kill
filters, or when new folks encounter him, folks take advantage of the
opportunity for a few carthartic slams before once again assigning the
troll to the kill files.

So, let's all raise our glasses to Puny, he ain't much of a troll, but
he's the rec's troll.

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 20:55:15 -0000, Elmar wrote:

Is there no way to stop these garbage liberal posts?

%69%20%6c%6f%76%65%20%77%6f%6f%64%77%6f%72%6b%69% 6e%67%20%62%75%74%20%69%6d%20%63%72%61%70
http://www.connoraston.com