Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
W Canaday

Default (sorta) gloat

I made a guy a cane this past week. His only spec was that it be unique in
all the world. He ended up with segmented tamarind / leopardwood with a
piece of birdseye maple at the handle end. I had him
over for a fitting today to check the length and to select which of two
sizes of brass horse hanes he wanted for his handle.

Although we hadn't discussed price, I figured it would come up eventually
so I had gone shopping at Meijers for their top of the line cane. I was
also prepared to simply give it to him ... we are both Jehovah's Witnesses
.... so, when he asked the price I told him that he could choose
whether to accept it as a gift from me or to pay the Meijers price.

He chose to pay the Meijers price ... plus $20.

I figure anytime someone is willing to give me more than I ask for a
piece, it counts as a gloat. ;-)

Okay ... now that that is off my chest, I'm off to the basem -- err,
'shop' to stain the tamarind and maple black per his request.

Bill