Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

Default Windmill types?

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 16:31:10 -0600, Don Foreman
wrote:

Some but not all DCPM motors "cog" a little when you turn the shaft.

See if they have brushes. If they do, they're very likely DCPM
motors.

The beuaty of the printed circuit armature on a PrintMotor servo is
there is NO COGGING because there is no iron in the rotor. There is
also no sparking at the brushes, because the commutator is skewed so
it is "slotless" and there is no inductance, because there is no iron.

The prushes are a bit smaller than they would have to be on an iron
core PMDC motor.

Yeah, see if you can find some schematics or specsheets. That could
help a lot. If they are brushless DCPM motors they might need a bit
of surgery to be used as generators. No rewinding or anything, just
bypass the internal elex to connect direct to the windings.

I am no expert on servomotors in particular, but I know a little about
motors in general.