Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike Berger

Default The Famous Plasma Black Line

It drastically decreased the size and weight of the support
electronics, and increased the reliability. Imagine how many
tiny wires you'd have to connect to the external electronics.
A 1280x720 pixel panel. You'd need a reliable, inexpensive
921600 conductor connector (assuming no grounds or other
control signals).

James Sweet wrote:

If you could find an identical panel with a broken glass it might
technically be possible to transfer the driver from one panel to the
other, but with the ones I've seen there would be absolutely no way in
hell of doing this at home. It really is a shame, I don't understand why
they bond them rather than just using some sort of connector.