Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Malcolm Moore

Default Windmill types?

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 10:27:45 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 21:22:05 +1300, Roger_Nickel
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Anyone have any specific preferences? Someone here sent me some files
from Oz on using a washing machine motor..a radial style Ive never
seen here in the US ever never. And no..I cant afford $150 worth of
exotic magnets to modify a GM alternator.
However..I can chain drive a 2 wire alternator..shrug.

You might be thinking of the Fisher and Paykel smartdrive motor.
This is a four phase permanent magnet step motor used in washing
machines and is common in this part of the world.
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/eco...ours_wind.html

Ayup. Ive never seen such a beasty here in the States.

Gunner

They are sold there. See

http://usa.fisherpaykel.com/search-results.cfm?search=quick&category=37257D91-65B7-DB96-1C714A7ADB7B0336&none=&kitchentype=&laundrytype=EC B803E0-65B7-DB96-1301E0D259A46C53&search_mod_number=

and click on "store locator". I'm not suggesting you buy one new but
you may be able to obtain a 2nd hand motor from the back door of the
service department ;-)

Actually, not only are they sold in the US but they are also
manufactured there in Clyde, Ohio. Shipping large but light weight
appliances across the Pacific is expensive so F&P have moved some
production there.

--
Regards
Malcolm