Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

Default Refurbishing old bookcases

wrote:

When sanding what grade of sandpaper should I use? 220? 320?
I have a bosch hand random orbit sander.
Would that be an appropriate tool to use?
Many Thanks

You are posting from google. Please read the link below, specifically
the part about how to retain context.

If there are large flat or mostly flat expanses, if the orbital sander
will get where you want it to go, and if you have the self discipline to
keep from gouging your work with it, it's a fine tool. Alternately, I'd
use a chemical stripper.

I would probably go with 220 or 320, depending on how well your paint
fills scratches. I would do a test patch on the back of the shelves, or
on a piece of scrap sheet metal.

Since you're in Google anyway, why not do a search on painting metal?
There has to be at least one comprehensive tutorial out there.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/