Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott

Default Refurbishing old bookcases

wrote:
Hi Everyone.
I recently purchased a four-stack of metal barrister (I am not sure of
what kind) bookcases.
There are currently painted (although the paint has peeled in some
places) and also have removeable metal-rimmed sliding glass doors. What
are my options for refinishing them? Can I polish them to a shine?
Should I strip the paint (how?) and add a new coat (which kind would I
use?)
Thank you very much for your advice.
Ethan

You _could_ strip and polish them, but they're most likely plain steel,
so they'd rust pretty quick.

I'd strip them with paint stripper or sand with an orbital sander, then
prime and paint them with a name brand spray bomb (Krylon and Rust-Oleum
in the US). In order of importance, you want to make sure your surface
is well prepared and CLEAN, you want to do a good job of spraying, and
you want to choose the best available paint.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posting from Google? See http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/