Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

Default copperhead repellant?

"mm" wrote in message
On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 19:03:01 -0600, "RobertM"
wrote:

"Joey" wrote in message
RobertM wrote:

Saw my first copperhead of the season today. I've seen various
repellants
advertised. Anyone have any experience with snake repellants? Do they
really work as advertised or is it better to simply shoot them? Are
copperheads a protected species?

Bob

First of all, if any snake in my yard is a protected species they are
going to get one of my protected buckshot rounds !!

I would try the snake repellants and I've also heard that spreading a
lot
of mothballs helps too.

I keep a sharp shovel on hand in case, but that shotgun is always a
backup -- protected or not !

I tried spreading several boxes of mothballs when I lived in Arizona. I
think the rattlesnakes eat mothballs. It never kept them away.

Arizona is a very big state. I would think you would need thousands
of tons.

Bob

So that's what I did wrong. I only put mothballs around the outside
of my house. Most of the rattlers killed out there were road kill. Then the
buzzards cleaned up the mess.

Bob