Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

Default copperhead repellant?

Saw my first copperhead of the season today. I've seen various repellants
advertised. Anyone have any experience with snake repellants? Do they really
work as advertised or is it better to simply shoot them? Are copperheads a
protected species?

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:41:06 -0600, "RobertM"
wrote:

Saw my first copperhead of the season today. I've seen various repellants
advertised. Anyone have any experience with snake repellants? Do they really
work as advertised or is it better to simply shoot them? Are copperheads a
protected species?

Bob

A copperhead (Florida) will come at you... don't shoot them and be
careful in their turf you can surprise them..... Call a local state
office if you have serious problems.

You'll amazed at how high I "could jump" that day face to snake with a
copperhead.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

wrote:

Saw my first copperhead of the season today. I've seen various repellants
advertised. Anyone have any experience with snake repellants? Do they
really
work as advertised or is it better to simply shoot them? Are copperheads a
protected species?

Bob

A copperhead (Florida) will come at you... don't shoot them and be
careful in their turf you can surprise them..... Call a local state
office if you have serious problems.

You'll amazed at how high I "could jump" that day face to snake with a
copperhead.

Oren

In Tennessee, then entire state is their habitat. If I called the county
agent every time I saw a copperhead, the county agent would soon think I was
the pest. Most folks around here kill them, but snakes are good for rodent
control. I'd prefer find a way to keep them away from the lawn. Rattlesnakes
tend to be a problem, too, but not as bad. The lawnmower usually wins when
there is a chance encounter while cutting the lawn.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joey

RobertM wrote:

Saw my first copperhead of the season today. I've seen various repellants
advertised. Anyone have any experience with snake repellants? Do they really
work as advertised or is it better to simply shoot them? Are copperheads a
protected species?

Bob

First of all, if any snake in my yard is a protected species they are
going to get one of my protected buckshot rounds !!

I would try the snake repellants and I've also heard that spreading a
lot of mothballs helps too.

I keep a sharp shovel on hand in case, but that shotgun is always a
backup -- protected or not !

Posted to alt.home.repair

The only protection I give a posinous snake is to protect from biting
anyone and that is by killing the thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

Oren wrote in
:

wrote:

Saw my first copperhead of the season today. I've seen various
repellants advertised. Anyone have any experience with snake
repellants? Do they really work as advertised or is it better to
simply shoot them? Are copperheads a protected species?

Bob

A copperhead (Florida) will come at you...

I thought that was COTTONMOUTH snakes?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
Searcher

I carry a .357 loaded with snake shot, I dispatch any dangerous snakes that
are invading the saftey zone of me or my family (dog included). I carry my
gun whenever I go fishing too..

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

"Joey" wrote in message
RobertM wrote:

Saw my first copperhead of the season today. I've seen various repellants
advertised. Anyone have any experience with snake repellants? Do they
really work as advertised or is it better to simply shoot them? Are
copperheads a protected species?

Bob

First of all, if any snake in my yard is a protected species they are
going to get one of my protected buckshot rounds !!

I would try the snake repellants and I've also heard that spreading a lot
of mothballs helps too.

I keep a sharp shovel on hand in case, but that shotgun is always a
backup -- protected or not !

I tried spreading several boxes of mothballs when I lived in Arizona. I
think the rattlesnakes eat mothballs. It never kept them away. This ecology
thing all sounds nice but I'm inclined to think that humans are also a
protected species. The people who make these laws live in fancy penthouses
and never encountered a poisonous snake while mowing their lawn. I'll buy
some repellant and try it but I'll also have backup.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Searcher

YEah, cottonmouths are famous for attacking, I was bitten in the hand trying
get away from a CM. It was not fun, remote camping area/ helicopter/ 8 hours
in the hospital all for " well, it seems that you should be just fine, snake
sometime do not inject everytime they bite" Thank God for that. I must hane
gotten something cause I did get nausea and felt very wierd, but nothing
like a full blown snake bite.
BTW, thats why I carry a .357 now!

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 01:53:21 GMT, "Searcher"
wrote:

YEah, cottonmouths are famous for attacking, I was bitten in the hand trying
get away from a CM. It was not fun, remote camping area/ helicopter/ 8 hours
in the hospital all for " well, it seems that you should be just fine, snake
sometime do not inject everytime they bite" Thank God for that. I must hane
gotten something cause I did get nausea and felt very wierd, but nothing
like a full blown snake bite.
BTW, thats why I carry a .357 now!

No offense meant. I'm really curious and you're the first person I
could ask.

Would you have time for more than one bullet? If not, what are the
odds you could hit a moving snake? What are the odds that you could
hit a snake that was lying still? You must mean that you're planning
to empty the gun at it, right? Will the noise make it more
aggressive?

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 19:03:01 -0600, "RobertM"
wrote:

"Joey" wrote in message
RobertM wrote:

Saw my first copperhead of the season today. I've seen various repellants
advertised. Anyone have any experience with snake repellants? Do they
really work as advertised or is it better to simply shoot them? Are
copperheads a protected species?

Bob

First of all, if any snake in my yard is a protected species they are
going to get one of my protected buckshot rounds !!

I would try the snake repellants and I've also heard that spreading a lot
of mothballs helps too.

I keep a sharp shovel on hand in case, but that shotgun is always a
backup -- protected or not !

I tried spreading several boxes of mothballs when I lived in Arizona. I
think the rattlesnakes eat mothballs. It never kept them away.

Arizona is a very big state. I would think you would need thousands
of tons.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub

wrote:

Would you have time for more than one bullet? If not, what are the
odds you could hit a moving snake? What are the odds that you could
hit a snake that was lying still? You must mean that you're planning
to empty the gun at it, right? Will the noise make it more
aggressive?

Think shotgun. 12 gauge. 7 shots. From 15 feet.

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

wrote:

"Joey" wrote in message
RobertM wrote:

[...]

So that's what I did wrong. I only put mothballs around the outside
of my house. Most of the rattlers killed out there were road kill. Then the
buzzards cleaned up the mess.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

wrote:

Would you have time for more than one bullet? If not, what are the
odds you could hit a moving snake? What are the odds that you could
hit a snake that was lying still? You must mean that you're planning
to empty the gun at it, right? Will the noise make it more
aggressive?

Think shotgun. 12 gauge. 7 shots. From 15 feet.

The previous poster, Searcher, said .357. That means a pistol, right?

I didn't know there was a pistol that shot shot. Until tonight.

I had never heard of a shotgun shell for a pistol before tonight.

Right?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Grandpa

Right: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?p=WX2&i=9478
--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair
Searcher

It (the snake) would be dead on the first shot, as far as the noise making
it mad, I think not, Probably never even feel the shot that killed it
(snakes don't hear).

CCI makes shot shots for many caliber pistols

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Thompson

I've used a couple of types of repellamnts and they are not fool proof.
They may discourage them but not absolutely repel them. One of the
powderted ones is nothing more than glorified moth balls
and the liquid has an odor which is somewhat likle a combo of ginger
and pepper. I must say that the nonvenomous species seem to be less
repelled than the poisonous ones.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Yanik

mm wrote in
:

wrote:

YEah, cottonmouths are famous for attacking, I was bitten in the hand
trying get away from a CM. It was not fun, remote camping area/
helicopter/ 8 hours in the hospital all for " well, it seems that you
should be just fine, snake sometime do not inject everytime they bite"
Thank God for that. I must hane gotten something cause I did get
nausea and felt very wierd, but nothing like a full blown snake bite.
BTW, thats why I carry a .357 now!

No offense meant. I'm really curious and you're the first person I
could ask.

Would you have time for more than one bullet? If not, what are the
odds you could hit a moving snake? What are the odds that you could
hit a snake that was lying still? You must mean that you're planning
to empty the gun at it, right? Will the noise make it more
aggressive?

You can buy shotshells for pistols.I believe they were created specifically
for shooting snakes.
Loadout would be;1st round is shot,the rest your usual self-defense load.
(for both 2 and 4-legged animals)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair
jdk

wrote:

Would you have time for more than one bullet? If not, what are the
odds you could hit a moving snake? What are the odds that you could
hit a snake that was lying still? You must mean that you're planning
to empty the gun at it, right? Will the noise make it more
aggressive?

Think shotgun. 12 gauge. 7 shots. From 15 feet.

The previous poster, Searcher, said .357. That means a pistol, right?

I didn't know there was a pistol that shot shot. Until tonight.

I had never heard of a shotgun shell for a pistol before tonight.

Right?

back in the early 80's i bought some 38 shot. in fact i just found them.
i paid 3.95 for 10 38/357 shotshells made by cci-speer. they work i used
them for varmets in my garden out in the country. alternated shot then
regular in a 38.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dadiOH

RobertM wrote:
Saw my first copperhead of the season today. I've seen various
repellants advertised. Anyone have any experience with snake
repellants? Do they really work as advertised or is it better to
simply shoot them? Are copperheads a protected species?

Bob

Get a mongoose. Maybe get a couple and sell their offspring to friends
and neighbors

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 18:22:48 -0600, "RobertM"
wrote:

In Tennessee, then entire state is their habitat. If I called the county
agent every time I saw a copperhead, the county agent would soon think I was
the pest. Most folks around here kill them, but snakes are good for rodent
control. I'd prefer find a way to keep them away from the lawn. Rattlesnakes
tend to be a problem, too, but not as bad. The lawnmower usually wins when
there is a chance encounter while cutting the lawn.

Sounds like you have your share. I was on the Cumberland River
(Jackson County) last week. I happened to ask about the varieties of
snakes there. It seemed moccasins where the big deal. I didn't hear
about copperheads there, but the terrain would be ideal for them.

If I can't avoid them, yes I would kill them if necessary.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On 13 Mar 2006 00:47:31 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

A copperhead (Florida) will come at you...

I thought that was COTTONMOUTH snakes?

Both will come at you. I encountered a copperhead as I crossed a
stream and it came at me, scared hell out of me.

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

There is two repellants .

Moth balls and a shotgun. Mothballs does a better job.

TURTLE

Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

In article , Jim Yanik wrote:

You can buy shotshells for pistols.I believe they were created specifically
for shooting snakes.

Yep -- in fact, it's called "snake shot".

--
Regards,

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

news
wrote:

In Tennessee, then entire state is their habitat. If I called the
county
agent every time I saw a copperhead, the county agent would soon think I
was
the pest. Most folks around here kill them, but snakes are good for rodent
control. I'd prefer find a way to keep them away from the lawn.
Rattlesnakes
tend to be a problem, too, but not as bad. The lawnmower usually wins when
there is a chance encounter while cutting the lawn.

Sounds like you have your share. I was on the Cumberland River
(Jackson County) last week. I happened to ask about the varieties of
snakes there. It seemed moccasins where the big deal. I didn't hear
about copperheads there, but the terrain would be ideal for them.

If I can't avoid them, yes I would kill them if necessary.

Oren

Gainesboro, nice little town. Yes, Jackson County has an abundance of
copperheads and rattlers. It's also a hotspot for the brown recluse. If the
snakes don't get ya, the spiders will. I'm an hour east of there, a few
more mountains, a few more snakes.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
RobertM

"TURTLE" wrote in message
ups.com...
This is Turtle.

There is two repellants .

Moth balls and a shotgun. Mothballs does a better job.

TURTLE

Never had any luck with the mothballs. It's also difficult to harvest
them. Need one person to hold the wings, another to use tweezers to pull
them off. :-)

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair
Michael Strickland

On Sun, 12 Mar 2006 17:41:06 -0600, RobertM wrote:

Saw my first copperhead of the season today. I've seen various repellants
advertised. Anyone have any experience with snake repellants? Do they really
work as advertised or is it better to simply shoot them? Are copperheads a
protected species?

Never heard of any repellent that worked - many claims, but no scientific
proof. Best bet is to get rid of food supply and shelter. Copperheads, along
with other pit vipers, feed mainly on warm blooded animals - mainly rodents -
so make sure you don't have anything in the area to attract rodents and you
should find that you have fewer copperheads, and snakes in general.

Remove rock and brush piles to a location away from your yard to encourage
any snakes that remain (and you do need some to keep pest populations in
check) to stay away from the house.

When you've done the above, kill any poisonous snakes that endanger you, your
family or pets. Do not kill snakes indiscriminately as some - like king
snakes - will help to keep the poisonous ones in check.

Later, Mike
(substitute strickland in the obvious location to reply directly)
-----------------------------------

Please send all email as text - HTML is too hard to decipher as text.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 05:46:20 GMT, Grandpa wrote:

The previous poster, Searcher, said .357. That means a pistol, right?
I didn't know there was a pistol that shot shot. Until tonight.
I had never heard of a shotgun shell for a pistol before tonight.
Right?

Right: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?p=WX2&i=9478

Thanks, and thanks to all. I learn something new every day.

And I wasn't making things up in thinking it would be hard to shoot a
snake with a bullet.

Grandpa

Posted to alt.home.repair
Oren

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 00:39:39 -0500, mm
wrote:

I didn't know there was a pistol that shot shot. Until tonight.

I had never heard of a shotgun shell for a pistol before tonight.

"Snake shot" been around for many years (50+), that I know of
personally.

Ever heard of "rock salt" being placed into a shot gun shell (after
pellets removed)? Farmers packed shells with rock salt to shoot
people stealing their produce (non-lethal). It's said to burn like
hell under the skin and is plucked out with tweezers, so I'm told...
(rubbin' salt in the wound)

Oren
excused from saving Universes."
Posted to alt.home.repair
Goedjn

Right: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?p=WX2&i=9478

Thanks, and thanks to all. I learn something new every day.

And I wasn't making things up in thinking it would be hard to shoot a
snake with a bullet.

Not if you're Jed Clampett.

Rumor has it that black-powder pistol balls move
slowly enough that rattlesnakes see the ball coming,
and strike at it. I have no idea if that's true,
but it makes a good story.

Posted to alt.home.repair
George E. Cawthon

Goedjn wrote:
Right: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?p=WX2&i=9478

Thanks, and thanks to all. I learn something new every day.

And I wasn't making things up in thinking it would be hard to shoot a
snake with a bullet.

Not if you're Jed Clampett.

Rumor has it that black-powder pistol balls move
slowly enough that rattlesnakes see the ball coming,
and strike at it. I have no idea if that's true,
but it makes a good story.

Won't make much difference to the shooter, because
rumor has it that those snakes can 75 feet and
swallow a man whole in 1/4 second. Wonder if the
guy can pull the trigger before he is swallowed.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 01:41:57 GMT, "George E. Cawthon"
wrote:

Goedjn wrote:
Right: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?p=WX2&i=9478

Thanks, and thanks to all. I learn something new every day.

And I wasn't making things up in thinking it would be hard to shoot a
snake with a bullet.

Not if you're Jed Clampett.

Rumor has it that black-powder pistol balls move
slowly enough that rattlesnakes see the ball coming,
and strike at it. I have no idea if that's true,
but it makes a good story.

Won't make much difference to the shooter, because
rumor has it that those snakes can 75 feet and
swallow a man whole in 1/4 second. Wonder if the
guy can pull the trigger before he is swallowed.

Maybe he can pull the trigger after he is swallowed, and make himself
a way out.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On Mon, 13 Mar 2006 14:10:39 GMT, "dadiOH"
wrote:

simply shoot them? Are copperheads a protected species?

Bob

Get a mongoose. Maybe get a couple and sell their offspring to friends
and neighbors

If you can't get a mongoose, get a monkey and a goose.

--
dadiOH

Posted to alt.home.repair

be sure its a copper head. garder snakes are mistaken for copper
heads.the garder has a allmost yellow gold stripe all the way down its
back,copperhead doesnt. garders are very helpful in controlling mice and
dont bite humans.im sure you could do a search. coppers are usually
around water.lucas