Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default JT #2-1/2 means exactly that!

Norm Dresner wrote:

"Trevor Jones" wrote in message
| FWIW I am going to call the rotating part of the drill press the
| spindle. The adaptor between the spindle and the chuck is the arbor,
| just so you are clear on what I am saying.

I have the exploded parts diagram in the instruction manual. There is
exactly one piece which runs down from the pulley to house the chuck. It is
a single piece of metal that the manufacturer calls the "spindle". There is
no separate arbor. If you doubt me, I'd be glad to scan the diagram and
e-mail it to you.

Norm

Well, amigo, it looks like you are stuck with what you got, unless you
are willing to have at the spindle for putting a new taper on it.

If there is enough meat to it to put a Morse socket into it, that would
be the way to go, otherwise grinding the taper to the next nearest
Jacobs taper looks to be about the only option besides a new drill
press.

If you want to, scan the diagram and put it up in the dropbox at
www.metalworking.com where it can be accessed by all interested parties.
The instructions for using the dropbox are at the link "using he
dropbox" near the top of the page. The upside of that is that it may
come useful to someone down the road.

Cheers
Trevor Jones