Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

Default Knot-free skirting boards, door linings, cill boards and architraves

On Fri, 10 Mar 2006 22:56:05 +0000, Cordless Crazy
wrote:

Interesting reading Pete. Looks like this Sikkens stuff is the way to
go!

It's one way to go, maybe others can add other ways...

One thing worth a mention, if using a water based stain it will raise
the grain some, for a smoother surface solvent based is better.

When using solvent based stain indoors, there needs to be plenty of
ventilation during the initial drying to stop the solvent smell
building up too much.

Here's a pic of some pine which I've used a fairly thin coat of Cetol
HLS 'Teak' on (it does look quite a bit lighter in reality though),
with some bare wood for comparison:

http://static.flickr.com/35/111028642_8296453dfa_b.jpg

Using more coats makes it darker, and maybe obscures the grain a
little. The finish comes out satin but isn't too glossy.

Another product that might be worth a look is Rustins Wood Gel, I've
no experience of it though.

cheers,
Pete.