Posted to rec.woodworking
Robatoy

Default Question about the strength of pocket hole joinery

In article ,
"Upscale" wrote:

My question is about the strength of the connections made with a pocket hole
kit like the Kreg.

I'm was thinking of using my rail and stile router bits to build a
lightweight cabinet (approximately 6'h x 3'w x 2'd) using glued up 3/4" oak
rail and stile construction with inserted 1/4" paneling.

Would the project be sufficiently strong to stand under it's own weight if I
just used a 1/4" slot cutter for the paneling and joined everything instead
with pocket joints?

I would think so. Making all the usual assumptions, like proper root depth,
length of screw and plenty of proper adhesive. Using oak already gives you an
advantage in creating a strong joint.

I've seen many suggestions for using pocket joints when creating face
frames, but I don't remember seeing anyone talking about full cabinet
construction using pocket joints.

Thanks