Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Default How to use crimping tool

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

wrote:
"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
oups.com...

Not necessarily! It depends on the circumstance where either soldering or
crimping is more practical.

I consider myself a master in soldering electrical connectors from years of
experience in the industry but I still use crimpers more often when working
with military avionics. Crimping is actually the better and preferred method
in 90% of the work.

Mmm, - this is a bit of a curly one. I agree - crimping tools are
preffered for many applications - BECAUSE it removes the need for skill
on the part of the operator. Tools such as this have traceable
calibaration, come in their own box with gauges, and usually have a
test set to test the conductivity of the connector. I have used them -
we were supposed to do test crimp every "XXXXX" connections and test.
I am certified to HRHS standards, and lately I have been gettng my
patch leads made up by a company that has the "proper" crimping
tools......because its easier AND cheaper than me buying the
connectors and spending HOURS making them up.

My issue is with the great majority of crimping tools and connectors
being cheap crap - useful for field repairs, or to get something
operational in a hurry, but will always try and do a good soldered
connection, with strain relief, and with heatshrink over the top.

The majority of so called "crimp connections" are better done with a
2lb hammer and a house brick anvil......

Andrew VK3BFA.

If you dont have the proper tools for the job, it will most likely cause
problems in the future.

I had problems in an PA system in an old Convair. I traced the problem
to a splice box under the galley section. Almost every splice in that
box was bad. You could pull the wires out of the crimp with almost no
force at all. The leaky coffee urn dripping water and coffee into the
box didn't help much either.

John