Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones

Default JT #2-1/2 means exactly that!

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Trevor Jones says...

There is a chance that the makers built it with a solid shaft with just
a male end on it. That was done on some very inexpensive machines, and
is not a positive thing.

lurk off

Actually, walker-turner did make a number of their fairly high
quality machines with the spindles equipped with a JT33 male thread
on the end. Those in particular do work pretty well.

I'd guess that they would have worked very well indeed. In practical
terms, if one were designing for accuracy, then it does make sense. If
the design is to be flexible, the socket makes more sense to me.

Then, the Walker Turners were not an inexpensive machine, either. One
would expect them to work well.

Cheers
Trevor Jones