Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robin S.

Default JT #2-1/2 means exactly that!

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
I finally removed the chuck from the spindle on my circa 1973 AMT 1/2"
bench
drill press -- the one that has been the subject of several threads
including one that concluded that I was absolutely crazy for believing a
nameplate that said it has a JT#2-1/2 spindle.

Perhaps you're over reacting.

It's also not anything close to any Morse taper either, nor a B+S.

It would be infinately more surprising for a chuck to have a Morse Taper,
than to have a JT 2-1/2.

As far as Morse Tapers are concerned, the chuck was attached directly to the
spindle, and not an arbour (which sits in the spindle)? We went over this
before, but you didn't mention your findings in this thread. Chuck --
arbour -- spindle = Good news. Chuck -- spindle (unlikely) = bad news.

Regards,

Robin