Peter T. Keillor III

Default Screw Making: Making a rounded edge on the screw tip

On 14 Oct 2003 16:11:22 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , George Sohnle
says...

Hi,
Anybody have any ideas on how to make a "rounded" edge on a 1/4 inch rod?
I am making some screws, and need to have the end rounded.

a) form tool

b) file

c) 45 degree chamfer tool, then file.

Jim

please reply to:

Or, pre-lathe, chuck in portable drill and spin against file, then
finish on oiled abrasive paper cupped in your palm (I think I'd prefer
to do this before it's threaded). Wobble the drill around to average
out errors. Real quick, and better finish than you'd think.

Pete Keillor