Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy

Default Ground potential differnet between 2 bldgs

Another interesting measurement is the difference between each side of the
240 VAC and neutral. I had a problem with bright flickering lights and
found there was a loose connection where the neutral wire connected inside
the main power box. If the connection had completely broken, there might
have been equipment damage resulting from unbalanced loads causing wildly
different voltages on the two sides.

Three volts sounds low, but it could be the symptom of a more serious
problem.

Fred

I was thinking that the neutral / ground wire might have a bad connection
and was actually worrying about exactly what you were saying.. I guess I'll
check out the neutral lug in the main breaker panel.

-Mike