Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joel Kolstad

Default Darwin Award Nominee?

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Nick Hull wrote:
Sales tax might collect as much as the income tax, but it is never as
bad as the income tax.

Actually, it is worse because it is _hidden_.

As far as I'm aware, in all U.S. states with sales tax, prices marked on items
are still the pre-tax price, so it's very obvious to the purchaser when they
actually go to check-out just how much the tax they're paying is.

I do agree that the method used in other countries -- "GST included" -- does
hide what's going on and is not good for the people.

In the U.S. gas prices are always advertised including taxes; I suspect this
is done because gasoline taxes are such a large percentage of the purchase
price.

---Joel Kolstad