Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

Default Kickback

"charlie b" wrote in message
todd wrote:

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message
todd wrote:

He's a strong proponent of riving knives. He's on some standards
subcommittee and I think if he had his way, riving knives would be
standard equipment on all table saws. With that said, he recommends
that
people fashion something that does the job of a riving knife.

How does he deal with the varying knife height as the blade height is
adjusted?

A riving knife adjusts its position as the blade height is changed. It
is
curved to fit the shape of the blade and maintains a consistent distance
from the blade, as opposed to a splitter. It's also set up so that the
height of the riving knife is slightly less than the blade height at any
time, permitting non-through cuts.

snip

todd

Second illustration shows the difference between a splitter
and a riving knife. Notice that th distance between the
exposed rear of the blade and the splitter INCREASES as
the depth of cut decreases while with the riving knife
the distance between the rear of the blade and the knife
remains constant - AND CLOSE.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/KickBack3.html

charlie b

Thanks for reinforcing my point with a pic.

todd