Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Default Kickback

Locutus wrote:

"todd" wrote in message
"Locutus" wrote in message

"todd" wrote in message

As do I. It happened to me once, though the block wall was a bit more
resilient than your plasterboard. In my case, I was picking up pieces
from the outfeed table and dropped one. It bounced right on top of the
blade. It put some nice saw tooth marks in the back of a drawer front
which I left as a reminder.

todd

Should the saw be stopped when picking up pieces from the outfeed table?

I'm sure it should. But of course I had more pieces to cut and these were
just piling up and getting in the way. Another case of being in a hurry
creating a dangerous situation.

todd

BTW, It was an honest question, I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. I am new
to this and still learning about proper tablesaw safety.

Thanks.

Rather than trying to remember a bunch of rules, sorting out some
of the conflicting rules, or doing EXACTLY what Mr. X or Mr. Y says,
how about understanding what causes what and why - then YOU decide
what you're willing to do to minimize the likelyhood of getting hit
by
a flying piece of whatever you're cutting. Short of ALWAYS using an
adequate power feeder, set up correctly, working with a table saw is
inherently dangerous - as are cars, bath tubs and electrical
outlets.

So - I guess it's time to post this again - and maybe save someone
some memorization - and hopefully - some grief.

http://home.comcast.net/~charliebcz/KickBack1.html

charlie b