Posted to rec.woodworking
Chris Friesen

Default Kickback

todd wrote:

He's a strong proponent of riving knives. He's on some standards
subcommittee and I think if he had his way, riving knives would be standard
equipment on all table saws. With that said, he recommends that people
fashion something that does the job of a riving knife.

How does he deal with the varying knife height as the blade height is
adjusted?

If you set it up so that the knife is level with the blade when the top
of the blade is just above table level (allowing to to do non-through
cuts without removing the knife) this would leave the knife a lot lower
than the blade when the blade is brought up to full height, making it
more dangerous to cut 12/4 stock.

Depending on the saw this might be workable.

I have an old Rockwell and there's maybe an inch or so behind the blade
in the insert...not enough for any of the standard splitters/knives I've
seen.

Chris