Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

Default Kickback

"TheNewGuy" wrote in message
oups.com...
todd wrote:
I'm a disciple of Kelly Mehler, author of _The Table Saw Book_ and a
strong
proponent of table saw safety.

Great book, own it, read (most of) it. He was a presenter at the
Sacramento WWing show a couple years ago.

If you get a real kickback, you'll be standing directly in the path of
the
projectile on the left side of the blade. In my opinion, the safest
place
to stand while cutting is outside the room. The next safest place to
stand
is to the right of the fence, which isn't always possible.

Personally, I agree w/ you. I like standing to the right of the blade
for a couple reasons, including not having to reach across the blade
(even w/ pawl/splitter/shroud) as I push the work fully past the back
of the blade.

Thing is, Mehler in his book says standard position is to the left of
the workpiece/blade.

Go figure.

He's a strong proponent of riving knives. He's on some standards
subcommittee and I think if he had his way, riving knives would be standard
equipment on all table saws. With that said, he recommends that people
fashion something that does the job of a riving knife. With that in place,
it is not possible for a kickback (as he defines it) to occur.

snip

todd