Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Jim Thompson

Default Darwin Award Nominee?

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 15:46:08 -0500, Keith Williams
wrote:

In article , To-Email-
says...
On 8 Mar 2006 17:03:58 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 10:53:38 -0600, Mike Martin wrote:
On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 21:50:28 +0000, Dave Hinz wrote:

Great. Who pays for the roads, police & fire & EMS protection, and all
those things then?

You can have taxes without INCOME taxes, in fact, most roads, police,
fire, EMS and such are already paid for without FEDERAL income tax.

OK, so some taxes are bad, but other taxes are fine. Um, yeah. Like I
said, if the libertarians ever get their program together, they'll start
getting votes. Rhetoric of "taxes are theft" doesn't show a good grasp
of reality, though.

I also don't think food should be taxed (that is, groceries... I'm ok
with taxing restraunts and bars)

Pretty sure ready-to-eat food is taxed, but basic groceries aren't. No?

In AZ that's true, no taxes on groceries, or prescription drugs.

The weenies will inevitably screw that up too. Here, if you buy
six bagels they're not taxed, five they are (a.k.a. the "bagel
tax"). At a bar, alcohol tax is included in the price, unless you
also buy food then it's taxed twice (alcohol + rooms&meals).
Clothes aren't taxed unless an individual item is $110, then it's
taxed at the full value. In NY, Tang isn't taxed, but powdered
lemon aid mix is. Sales tax can be as bad as the income tax.

Either way, someone has to pay to keep I80 open, and since the whole
country benefits from it, expecting the states with little population,
where it is, to pay for it is unrealistic. (obviously that's just one
example, shared infrastructure in general benefits people who never
personally physically travel on it).

Highways are generally paid for from GASOLINE taxes, although in AZ we
have a half-cent sales tax to expand the freeway system and (for the
leftist weenies) rapid rail.

How many states raid the gasoline tax to pay for weenie things?

The weenies keep chiseling away... can you imagine what a fiasco
"rapid" rail is going to be in Phoenix? Phoenix is as large as
Massa2****s from Boston to Springfield, and Maricopa County is larger
than the whole state. The upside is that a number of politicians are
going to take the Humpty Dumpty trip ;-)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.