Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Imperial/metric pipes?

Tournifreak wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Hi,

Maybe some of the older people on this list can help me with this one.
Our house was built in 1970 and Im sure that some of the pipework that
I thought was 22mm or 15mm OD isnt. My questions are 1) What is the
situation when joining new metric pipe using std brass compression
fittings to the old stuff? 2) Also will the new speedfit connectors be
ok on these posssible imperial sizes?

15mm and 1/2" are almost identical. 15mm compression should work with both.
22mm and 3/4" are not very close. You can then use a standard
compression fitting but you'll have to replace one of the olives with a
special 3/4" one - available in plumbers merchants, prob. not B&Q.

Indeed, I used a soldered end feed convertor to go from 3/4 to 22mm. I
did try compression, but one wouldn't seal on a standard copper olive,
the other did on a brass one.

Cheers

Paul.