Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matthew

Default Imperial/metric pipes?

Hi,

Maybe some of the older people on this list can help me with this one.
Our house was built in 1970 and Im sure that some of the pipework that
I thought was 22mm or 15mm OD isnt. My questions are 1) What is the
situation when joining new metric pipe using std brass compression
fittings to the old stuff? 2) Also will the new speedfit connectors be
ok on these posssible imperial sizes?

Thanks,
Matthew

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

On 8 Mar 2006 08:09:27 -0800, "Tournifreak" wrote:

|Matthew wrote:
| Hi,
|
| Maybe some of the older people on this list can help me with this one.
| Our house was built in 1970 and Im sure that some of the pipework that
| I thought was 22mm or 15mm OD isnt. My questions are 1) What is the
| situation when joining new metric pipe using std brass compression
| fittings to the old stuff? 2) Also will the new speedfit connectors be
| ok on these posssible imperial sizes?
|
|15mm and 1/2" are almost identical. 15mm compression should work with
|both.
|22mm and 3/4" are not very close. You can then use a standard
|compression fitting but you'll have to replace one of the olives with a
|special 3/4" one - available in plumbers merchants, prob. not B&Q.

If you are into Yorkshire or end feed fittings adaptors are still available

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tournifreak wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Hi,

Maybe some of the older people on this list can help me with this one.
Our house was built in 1970 and Im sure that some of the pipework that
I thought was 22mm or 15mm OD isnt. My questions are 1) What is the
situation when joining new metric pipe using std brass compression
fittings to the old stuff? 2) Also will the new speedfit connectors be
ok on these posssible imperial sizes?

15mm and 1/2" are almost identical. 15mm compression should work with both.
22mm and 3/4" are not very close. You can then use a standard
compression fitting but you'll have to replace one of the olives with a
special 3/4" one - available in plumbers merchants, prob. not B&Q.

Indeed, I used a soldered end feed convertor to go from 3/4 to 22mm. I
did try compression, but one wouldn't seal on a standard copper olive,
the other did on a brass one.

Cheers

Paul.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Matthew wrote:
Hi,

Maybe some of the older people on this list can help me with this one.
Our house was built in 1970 and Im sure that some of the pipework that
I thought was 22mm or 15mm OD isnt. My questions are 1) What is the
situation when joining new metric pipe using std brass compression
fittings to the old stuff? 2) Also will the new speedfit connectors be
ok on these posssible imperial sizes?

Thanks,
Matthew

Speedfit do a connector for 1/2 inch to 15mm. Although when I used it I
found it to be a little loose (but no leaks) so I just used a standard
fitting which was a little tighter to push on but with no ill effect.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Cowley

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 17:46:50 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

If you are into Yorkshire or end feed fittings adaptors are still available

Yup. Much to my surprise, our local Wickes holds stock of 3/4" to 22mm
end-feed and solder ring fittings.

--
Chris Cowley

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|If you are into Yorkshire or end feed fittings adaptors are still available
|
|Yup. Much to my surprise, our local Wickes holds stock of 3/4" to 22mm
|end-feed and solder ring fittings.

Mine doesn't :-(
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
the keys to Civilization, together with legal acceptance of
Fundamental Human rights.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Cowley

wrote:

|If you are into Yorkshire or end feed fittings adaptors are still available
|
|Yup. Much to my surprise, our local Wickes holds stock of 3/4" to 22mm
|end-feed and solder ring fittings.

Mine doesn't :-(

I bought two 3/4" to 22mm solder ring fittings because I thought the old
pipework here was 3/4". It turns out I was wrong - it is metric, so I
have two of them lying around here going to waste.

So if anyone's having difficultly getting hold of any, I'll bung 'em in
a jiffy bag to the first person who e-mails me their postal address.
They're of no use at all to me, and I've taken them out of the packet so
I doubt Wickes will take them back.
--
Chris Cowley
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

wrote:

|On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 19:31:28 +0000, Chris Cowley wrote:
|
||On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 17:46:50 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
||If you are into Yorkshire or end feed fittings adaptors are still available
||Yup. Much to my surprise, our local Wickes holds stock of 3/4" to 22mm
||end-feed and solder ring fittings.
|
|Mine doesn't :-(
|
|I bought two 3/4" to 22mm solder ring fittings because I thought the old
|pipework here was 3/4". It turns out I was wrong - it is metric, so I
|have two of them lying around here going to waste.

Things like that go into my copper plumbing bits box, because they may come
in useful sometime in the future.
--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk
Freedom of Speech, Expression, Religion, and Democracy are
the keys to Civilization, together with legal acceptance of
Fundamental Human rights.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris Cowley

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 14:53:17 +0000, Dave Fawthrop
wrote:

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 14:18:12 +0000, Chris Cowley wrote:

|I bought two 3/4" to 22mm solder ring fittings because I thought the old
|pipework here was 3/4". It turns out I was wrong - it is metric, so I
|have two of them lying around here going to waste.

Things like that go into my copper plumbing bits box, because they may come
in useful sometime in the future.

True enough. My problem is that I always forget what I've got stashed
away and end up buying things several times over on the assumption that
"there's no way I've already got one of those". I found a telescopic
basin bottle trap in a cupboard the other day; I have absolutely no idea
why I'd have bought one, nor any idea of when I bought it.

I dread to think what I'll be like when I'm old(er).
--
Chris Cowley

Hot water issue .. rusty .. pipes.. need advice Duncantuna Home Repair 4 March 7th 06 03:59 PM
Insulation foam on copper pipes R8EDXXX Home Repair 12 June 13th 05 10:56 PM
Noisy pipes JimmySchmittsLovesChocolateMilk Home Repair 2 February 3rd 05 12:06 AM
Replacing old pipes pmr Home Repair 9 December 9th 04 10:24 PM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM