Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Vinyl Siding

On 7 Mar 2006 11:21:14 -0800, wrote:

Aluminum siding is way more durable, and can be repainted to look like
new.

You got that right. I realize this message started as spam, but there
is much truth to what was said about vinyl. I read that whole site,
and some of the links from it. I really must agree. In one part they
said that several vinyl homes in a row makes the neighborhood look
like a trailer park. That is so true. I haev always thought it was
extremely ugly, and I have seen it melt off the building from a nearby
fire, and saw what happened when a friend hit his vinyl garage with a
plastic snow shovel. (big hole).
As for the melted siding, I had to laugh. A house was sold in a
commercial area to be torn down and used to build a store. This was a
corner property and the garage was around the corner. The neighbor
bought the garage, planning to put it on rollers and roll it across
his lot line. The fire dept burned the old house for practice. They
never realized that although the garage was a sizable distance away,
that the siding would melt off the garage. It did, and the FD ended
up paying for replacement siding. I saw the results. A large pile of
melted plastic on the ground with some pieces still hanging off the
garage.

I used to live in a home with aluminum siding and it was durable and
lasted forever. Big difference from vinyl.