Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DE

Default Darwin Award Nominee?

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 07:22:00 -0700, DE
wrote:

Myth Busters did a segment on that one---it was busted -no chance
of even a tingle wizzing on a hot fence.

I am wrong- googled myth busters and low and behold Adam
did get a thrill from wizzing on the wire.

Must not of had a heavy load on the fence and was grounded good.
I've seen dogs get bit for wetting the wire but they're barefoot and
closer.

I wouldn't even think of leaning on the post and trying it but in
rubber soled boots on dry ground not much to worry about.

As a kid we had a bare "electric fence" wire that laid on the ground
around the farm yard and turned the sheep out to keep things mowed.
Now that wire was nothing to step on in your bare feet. The sheep
would graze up to it and stop, come to think of it my uncle used it
to collect worms for fishing. Not the same as the energizers we
use today, high voltage, low impedance type. The old ones
could leak and make a water tank along ways off hot.
When that happened it was hard to get the critters back
to drinking.

ED