Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Kanter

Default Best lubricant for outdoor padlock

"HeatMan" wrote in message
news

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Daniel Prince" wrote in message
In your opinion, what is the best lubricant for an outdoor padlock?
I live in a humid area about six miles from the ocean. Thank you in
advance for all replies.
--

Go to an auto supply and get an aerosol can of white lithium grease.
Drown

That has go to be the worst suggestion yet.

Any kind of grease will attract all kinds of stuff (sand, grit, etc)and
will
gum up the lock. The best suggestion is to use graphite for the keyway.

You'd think, but I use the stuff on my boat & trailer, not just on various
moving parts, but also on various padlocks, which attract plenty of filth.
Everything's working as smooth as silk. And, I just worked the padlocks last
week, when it was 10 degrees outside. Smooth.

Salt's another issue - I have no idea how this stuff holds up.