Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Dirk Bruere

Default Darwin Award Nominee?

Glenn wrote:
"Howard Eisenhauer" wrote in message

Come on, admit it- This is something you've always wanted to try .

**********

Pocket Taser Stun Gun, a great gift for the wife? This was submitted
by
a guy who purchased his lovely wife a "Pocket Taser" for their
anniversary.

Last weekend I saw something at Larry's Pistol & Pawn Shop that
sparked
my interest. The occasion was our 22nd anniversary and I was looking
for
a little something extra for my wife Toni.

What I came across was a 100,000-volt, pocket/purse-sized taser. The
effects of the taser were suppose to be short lived, with no long-term
adverse affect on your assailant, allowing her adequate time to
retreat to
safety.... WAY TOO COOL!

Long story short, I bought the device and brought it home. I loaded

Same story .. different ending. I bought a couple of the zappers from a
friend that gets them from the police supply house (whatever that is). The
little one uses a single 9 volt battery and the big one uses 2 9 volt
batteries. A few of the guys were sitting around commiserating over a jug
of JD and the little zappers came into focus. We started zapping each other
as a friendly jest and found it wasn't much of a hit. Eventually we started
zappin ourselves as it was just too implausible that these things didn't do
what they were advertised to do. These things throw a healthy 1" blue arc
without touching anything! But put em to a drunk body and they don't even
wake you up. Lots of really colorful bruises in the morning but nobody got
any more incapacitated than they already were.
As to the wife .. she prefers her .40 S&W ... the batteries never go dead

That's what I found as well.
Back in the 80s when these were legal in Britain my brother used to take
one down the pub to use on friends. Ideally just as they took a swig.
One should not stand directly behind the victim. I tried it out on the
girlfriend's posterior and got a quite notable effect, but far from one
of electrocuted passivity:-)

They might make pretty good weapons for mugging little old ladies, but
for self defence they are ****. *Nobody* is going to let you hold one
onto their body for the required 3+ seconds it takes to work
effectively, in the same way that nobody is going to let a rabid dog
savage them for the same length of time without fighting back.

Dirk