Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Default Solar Panels

"Tony Bryer" wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 17:19:30 +0000 David Hansen wrote :
Grants in England and Wales are currently in what might be called a
state of flux. http://www.solartwin.com will explain the fears of
one installation company.

If you read it all it's special pleading par excellence. Their
average system costs £3,000 but 90% of people buy because they are
getting a £400 grant, reducing the cost to £2600. Given recent
increases in energy prices if it was worth doing for £2600 last year
it's more than worth £3000 now but ...

I think the government grant has now finished. What's more, if you installed
it yourself the government wouldn't pay the grant.

We installed our own in February, it cost just over £2,000 including a lot
of plumbing, more than conventional systems would need.

It may give you a good feeling but the economics don't stand up.

It's nothing to do with feeling good and economics aren't the only
criterion.

What's more, the panel can move house with you for up to three moves, and
keep its guarantee.

Mary