Posted to rec.woodworking
LRod

Default Door hing---stripped screws by construction crew

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 14:25:01 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
. com wrote:

One of my interior doors has the top hinge with all the screws more or less
"floating in space". It has caused the door to sag a little. This seems
odd to me, since the other 2 hinges are solid as rocks, and yet there is
enough flex in a door somehow to bend or sag just "enough" to not close
perfectly.

[the rest snipped, to eliminate the necessity of top posting, which
indexplicably drives some people nuts]

I recently had difficulty with a couple of pre-hungs I got at the
borg. Since I had also been hanging a couple of slabs in my own
jambsets I had been mortising my own hinges with screws I bought from
the same borg.

I noticed that the screws I bought separately were about ½ longer than
the prehung screws. I just popped a few of the separates in in place
of the prehung screws and everything pulled back in nicely.

The hinge screws--(they're #9--you can't find them with all the other
screws) are in bags of 20 or thereabouts near the butts.

--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

care to correspond with you anyway.