Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
Gunner

Default Darwin Award Nominee?

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 07:10:33 GMT, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 02:29:27 GMT, Howard Eisenhauer
wrote:

Come on, admit it- This is something you've always wanted to try .

(...)

Well, I did a mild variation on the same theme to myself. I bought a
used Coleman lantern that has a pizeolectric spark gap starter. Turn
the knob on the front of the lantern and the spark ignites the propane
filled mantle.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...ategoryid=1010
Beats a match any day.

Unfortunately, someone had tried to repair this one and put it
together wrong. This is good because I was sure I could fix it.
However, when I tried it, no spark. So, I tore it apart and found
that there was a crack in the ceramic tube insulator surrounding the
base of one electrode. The spark was working, but jumping at the
crack instead of at the tip of the electrode. I rotated the tube so
that the broken pieces mated and decided it would be useful to test
the spark before I reassembled the lantern again. I pushed the button
that hammered the piezoelectric element and immediately received a
rather strong jolt. I forgot I was holding onto the hot electrode
with my other hand. Oops.

It took about an hour for me to stop shaking. Eventually, I glued the
cracked ceramic pieces back together and reassembled the lantern. It
works fine. However, every time I use the lantern, I seem to get a
psychosomatic tingling sensation. Pavlov was right.

At a meeting..the boss was figiting with an early stun gun..took 9vt
batts. About the size of a small walkie talkie. This was a rather
powerful bitch..and it would indeed jump the arc across the prongs.
Garland was pushing the button, watching the arc..putting it down etc
etc as the meeting progressed. He started scracthing his neck with
his free hand..well..

At some point he decided to scratch his neck..and pushed the button at
the same time. There was a muffled ZZZZAAAPPPPPPPPP and suddenly no
Garland..just the slowly revolving casters on the bottom of his chair
were visible over the top of his desk.

Running around the desk..we observed him upside down..ass pressed
against the wall..his head tucked under him. We grabbed him and got
him back into the chair...and I swear his eyes were wandering in
different directions at the same time. The 4 of us returned to our
chairs..and continued discussing the issues. About 15 minutes
later..he started to focus again. We made no acknowlegement that he
had fried his nervous system....the poor ******* was confused as hell.
He sorta remembered parts of it...and here we were..making like
nothing had happened. It took him a couple days before we clued him
in.

I used the "stun gun" on a some people during my short time as a cop,
way back when there was no policy against them. Two drunks were
whipping on each other..and finally one got a death grip on the throat
of the other..about the time I showed up. One guy was turning a
lovely shade of purple and the lights were going out in his eyes..the
other appeared to be in a trance..and refused to even acknowlege I was
there. So I put it against his spine, just above the belt line..and
lit him up. He simultainiously **** and ****ed himself as he was
spasming on the ground..doing "the chicken"

The second time was a fellow who decided to grab me by the neck from
behind in a bar fight. I managed to get the toy off my belt..and hold
it against his crotch..then lit him up. He..let go. He laid on the
floor for quite some time making a sound Id never heard
before..something a cat or bagpipe would make while being slowly
crushed by a cement roller....just really really prolonged.

It was an interesting tool..always worked..unlike Mace or pepper
spray...even on the worst druggie wacked out of his melon. But..you
had to get to contact range to use it.

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3