Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design
The Real Andy

Default Darwin Award Nominee?

On Tue, 07 Mar 2006 02:29:27 GMT, Howard Eisenhauer
wrote:

Come on, admit it- This is something you've always wanted to try .

**********

Pocket Taser Stun Gun, a great gift for the wife? This was submitted
by
a guy who purchased his lovely wife a "Pocket Taser" for their
anniversary.

snip

At one place i was working, we used cheap barbeque/stove/gas ignitors
for static tests. They were long blue plastic things with a single aa
battery that when pressed would produce a fairly constant spark.
Fairly simple design, an oscillator connected to an autotransfomer.
The transfomer was wound with the primary well sperated from the
secondry.

Me in my infinite wisdom decided i could improve on the spark. I
removed some turns of the primary side of the coil it used, then
beefed up the switching transisor and taped 2 d cells to it. After the
mods it could pull 1" sparks.

One night i was fishing on the gold coast (brisbane) seaway ,near a
spot where the local car hoods hang out, when the police decided to
block all exits and fine anybody with anything they could. They
searched my car and found the modified gas lighter and tried to say it
was a concealed weapon. Fortunately a superior noted the fishing gear
and realised i was not a hoon. He still made me break up the gas
lighter though.