Posted to rec.woodworking
tdup2

Default Delta 14" Band Saw - Poor Dust Collection

Cut a 4" hole in the lower door and add a 4" toilet flange. Your dust
collector hose will hook to that easily. Collects most of the dust.

Tim

"news.east.cox.net" wrote in message
Hi,

Is there anything that's needed to improve the dust collection on the
Delta 14" Bandsaw (28-206)? I noticed that there is a 1/2" gap between
the bottom swing-away door and the frame casting. I have been told that
for effective dust collection, the unit needs to be sealed, in as much as
possible, while still allowing for a proper intake volume. If that's
true, I can see that at far as my Delta is concerned, the dust collection
may be ineffective and is, in fact, seems poor. I am currently using a
Portable Jet 1 HP DC unit with a short hose.

It collects about 1/2 of the dust the bandsaw produces - and that is from
ripping a 3/4 piece of plywood. I'd hate to see what happens on a resaw.

I have thought about using some form of weather stripping to seal the
lower door, but I figured it may be better to ask the group first.

Thanks in advance.

SBL