Stephen Young

Default Disaster - Mufflers & quiet

On the 40 acres that I share with my brother in a remote spot in
Michigan's U.P., we came up with a simple way to quiet our generator in
an otherwise very quiet surrounding - dig a hole in the ground about 4
feet deep & drop the whole thing in the hole. The noise mostly goes
straight up & not so loud in a radial pattern. I suppose adding a better
muffler would make it better yet...

BEAR wrote:
Nah.

You only need a length of black pipe, some other fittings,
and maybe even a nice large general purpose off the shelf
heavy equipment muffler, and wham! Quiet.

You can use a random muffler from a junk yard if you are
feeling really cheap...

_-_-bear

Carl Byrns wrote:

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 12:21:19 GMT, George wrote:

Why is it that the home generators are so loud? Is it that the
backpressure of a real muffler is too great? I've heard of people who
put better mufflers and even tubing to route the exhaust out of the
garage or where ever and they said they were happy.

Real mufflers cost real bucks- like a $150 for a 1200 watt portable
Makita.
So you're at Home Depot and see two gensets of similar output and one
is $150 more than the other...

-Carl