Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default Door hing---stripped screws by construction crew

"professorpaul" wrote in message
oups.com...
I've dealt with the stripped out screw issue by doing one of these:

1. Drill out and insert a piece of dowel. Trim flush

or

2. Fill hole with water based wood putty. Let dry overnight.

Drill pilot hole, then insert the screw again, if it isn't damaged.

I have used the dowel technique in replacing butt plates and recoil
pads on rifle and shotgun stocks as well, but there isn't a lot of
strain involved there.

Once I simply dipped the offending screw in "Gorilla Glue" and put it
back in. Crude, but that worked as well!!

If the screw is stripped forget about plugging the hole. Put a 3" deck
screw in all the way into the stud.